Ray Morrison was SMU's first football coach serving from 1915-1916 and then from 1922-1934. He also coached at Vanderbilt University (1918, 1935-1939), Temple University (1940-1948), and Austin College (1949-1952). Under Morrison's tutelage, the SMU Mustangs became the first team in the Southwest to invade the East, beginning with an intersectional schedule in which they played from coast to coast. His SMU teams became known as the "aerial circus" and won three Southwest Conference championships (1923, 1926, 1931). Morrison is credited for inventing the "Statue of Liberty" play, the five-man defensive line, and was instrumental in getting the SMU's Ownby stadium built. He was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1963.